One of the most exhilarating experiences any motorist can have is a speedy drive down a rugged 4X4 trail. This can only be achieved by employing a fully capable vehicle that has the best off-road or all terrain tires to go with it. Rugged terrain can throw a lot at a tire. Whether it’s jiggered rock outcrops, rivers that need wading or swampy mud pits, it can be argued that off-road touring offers the ultimate driving challenge. Unlike other forms of motorsport there’s very little requirements for off-road driving. All you need is your car and the countryside. This means that even a novice can engage. This fact then means there are a number of avid off-roaders who may not necessarily know which tire to arm their cars with before heading out.
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
- Can stand up to intense punishment due to its toughness and durability
- High-quality performance in the snow
- Insane traction on and off the road
- Worth every penny due to its quality and lengthy treadlife
- Can slide slightly in emergency braking scenarios in poor weather conditions
The BFGoodrich All-Terrain A/T K02 has it all. Unbelievable traction in the sand, mud, snow, gravel and rocks. They’re wonderful on the pavement in both wet and dry weather conditions. They behave themselves very well on the highway, unlike some other all-terrain tires. And they’re super tough and durable. Oh, and the tread life is long-lasting and wears evenly across the pattern. With exceptional value for money and superior all-round performance, it’s hard not to recognise the BFGoodrich All-Terrain A/T K02 as the best tire in the all-terrain class.
Best Budget Tires
Firestone Destination A/T
- Smooth and comfortable ride that won't be ruined by road noise
- Great traction on wet pavement with good hydroplaning resistance
- They last long and wear evenly
- One of the best in the class for off-road traction
- Not only do they perform great, but they look great too
- Deep snow traction could be improved
- Possible wheelspin when starting in snow
The Firestone destination A/T is an excellent choice of tire for your jeep, sport utility vehicle or pickup truck. With superb traction on almost surface, the Destination A/T maintains its grip on almost any surface in wet, dry and wintry weather conditions. They’re a long-lasting tire that produce a smooth, comfortable ride with little road noise. Oh, and they’ll look great on your truck with one of the three styling options offered by Firestone. So what’s the downside? Well deep mud and deep snow traction could definitely be improved. But beside that the Destination A/T is a perfect tire for anyone that wants great year-round traction, longevity and a stylish appearance.
Best Off-Road Tires
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
- Unbelievable performance in snow and ice
- Improved traction in the dirt, gravel and mud
- Road noise increases on dry pavement
- Sidewalls are too soft and thin and prone to punctures
The Wrangler Duratrac is Goodyear’s On/Off Commercial Traction light truck tire aimed at the drivers of full sized pickups, vans, sport utility and commercial vehicles. It’s a versatile tire that’s built to work off-road in mud, gravel and snow, while retaining excellent performance and composure on the road, even if they can get a little noisy. But treat them right and they’ll last you a long time. The only drawback on these tires is the sidewall, which is too weak and thin and prone to punctures.
Best All Terrain Truck Tires
General Grabber AT2
- Incredible value for money
- Long-lasting with a phenomenal tread wear backed by a 60
- 000 mile warranty
- Unbeatable in the snow
- Lose traction in deep mud
- They start to sing a little a highway speeds
If you’re looking for an all-terrain tire that delivers real value for your money, then you’ve found it with General Tires Grabber A/T 2. Traction is superb in everything but deep mud. These tires cut through sand, dirt, gravel and snow with ease, and handle diverse weather conditions with extreme confidence. Particularly the snow.
Backed by a 60,000 mile tread life warranty, the Grabber A/T 2 is built to last. Braking and handling on the road is responsive and reliable. On or off the pavement, the Grabber A/T 2 is a tire you can count on. They only act up and get a bit noisy after 50mph on the highway. A great option if you don’t have the cash to splash on the more expensive tires in the class, like the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02.
Best Aggressive All Terrain Tires for Trucks
Firestone Destination M/T
- World-class traction in mud, dirt, sand, gravel and snow
- Great manners on the pavement with predictable braking and steering
- Terrific tires for rock crawling
- Perform poorly on the ice
- They get noisy on the highway
The Firestone Destination M/T is concerned with one thing and one thing only, off-road performance. It chomps through mud, sand and gravel quickly while driving in the snow with these bad boys is a pure pleasure. Enjoy a bit of rock crawling from time to time? Who doesn’t. These beasts glue you to the rock to allow you take on even the steepest rock face. But them take on the ice at your own peril. On the road they’re well mannered with reliable braking and predictable steering. However, they can get a bit noisy on the highway. But what mud tire doesn’t? Overall the Firestone Destination M/T is a fantastic tire to meet your hard-core mudding needs.
Best Mud Tires
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
- Tough sidewalls to withstand whatever abuse you throw their way
- Surprisingly quiet and comfortable for a mud tire
- Steering and braking is very responsive on pavement
- Handles any type of terrain for brilliant off-road performance
- Exercise extreme caution on wet or icy road surfaces
The BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 is a tire for serious hard-core off-roaders who love to rip through the mud and crawl on the rocks. It’s tough enough to take on the most brutal terrains no matter how extreme the weather gets. They love to play in the mud, sand, snow and gravel in wet,dry or wintry conditions. For a tire that’s so utterly aggressive off the road, they behave themselves spectacularly well on the road. They’re comfortable without being excessively noisy. The only complaint about these tires is that they don’t do well on icy road surfaces.
Best Rock Crawling Tires
Michelin XPS Traction
- Ideal for rough job sites due to their durability
- The tread is long-lasting and wears evenly
- Perfect for heavy construction use in dirt, gravel and mud
- Definitely not the most comfortable ride
The Michelin XPS Traction is one of the best commercial tires on the market. Developed for the drivers of heavy duty pickups and utility vehicles, the XPS Traction is built to endure the rigorous demands of heavy-duty hauling, towing and other intensive workloads both on and off the road. They may be a bit expensive, but they prove themselves over time so the price is easily justified. They last forever, have the traction to tackle most off-road situations, and are incredibly tough and durable. But due to the hard rubber compound, ride comfort has been sacrificed.
Best Tires for Sand
Kumho Road Venture AT51
- Powerful off-road traction
- A great low cost option that delivers real value for money
- Quiet and pleasantly comfortable on the highway
- Dominant wet and winter performance
- They have a habit of getting stuck in deep mud
The Kumho Road Venture AT51 is a great all-terrain tire that delivers high off-road performance, good manners on the highway, and first-rate value for money. For an all-terrain tire, they’re incredibly quiet and comfortable on the road. But off the road, they’re a different beast altogether. They clean themselves out well and produce powerful traction on almost every surface beside deep mud. And they’re simply marvelous to drive in the snow. Overall the Kumho Road Venture AT51 is more than a match for the top contenders of its class, but far cheaper.
Best All-Terrain Tires for Snow
Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
- Brilliant on and off-road traction that embraces all-terrains
- Comfortable and easy-going on the highway with little noise
- Get value for your money with a long tread life
- Solid wet weather performance
- Not suitable for hard-core mudding or rock crawling
The Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 is a tremendous all-terrain tire for truck and SUV drivers that want to replace the existing set of tires on their vehicle. The Geolander A/T G015 promises to give you more control both on and off the road. They stick well through snow, sand and mud, and deliver superior wet performance, which is ideal if you live in a rainy area. But they’re not the most suitable choice of tire if you often take your rig out mudding or rock crawling. On the road they produce a soft ride without any commotion or noise. All in all, the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 is an excellent tire that makes sure you get value for you money with a long-lasting tread life.