Very few things are as disappointing as having a car that fails to live up to your expectations, especially not having the best summer tires for when you want to go all out. As such the importance of finding the right tires for your car is critical. For the novice and casual motorist, a quick glance at leading manufacturers gives an idea of where to go. But even then, big brands can have numerous tire models in the same segment. Ideally one’s gut is often enough to point one in the right direction. However, if you are a bit stumped, there are some proven options out there.
Michelin PILOT SUPER SPORT
- Capable wet performance with class-leading dry performance
- Superior handling in spirited driving
- Quiet and comfortable while cruising
- Excellent tread wear life thanks to clever construction
- Supplied as original equipment on some of the world’s fastest supercars
- Summer only, shouldn't be used in near freezing temperatures and on snow or ice
- Can be a little noisy compared to other tires
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport has been sitting atop the ultra- high performance road-going tire market since its introduction in 2010 and comes with an unmatched tread wear warranty of 30,000 kilometers. The Pilot Super Sport is comfortable in everyday travel and performs sublimely in spirited driving. Add to that Michelin’s obsession with cutting edge tire technology with their excellent record at races like Le Mans and it’s not hard to see why the Pilot Super Sport wins awards and comparison tests like they’re going out of style.
BFGoodrich G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2
Bridgestone POTENZA RE-11
- Top class traction and grip on wet surfaces
- Great feedback
- Extraordinary cornering ability
- Dry performance is just amazing in general
- Noticeably noisy
The Bridgestone Potenza Re-11 is an extreme performance summer tire that will allow the drivers of sport cars, coupes and sedans to get the best out of their car. It provides world class traction and grip on both wet and dry surfaces. Cornering at all speeds is balanced and precise, and the steering is insanely responsive. The Potenza Re-11 gives you a whole new level of control over your car. They’re a bit on the noisy side, however that’s to be expected from an extreme performance tire.
Bridgestone POTENZA S-04 Pole Position
- Surprising ride comfort for a max performance tire
- Incredible traction, handling and braking on wet surfaces
- High-levels of cornering grip
- Wears less than you'd expect
- None that stand out
The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position is a maximum performance summer tire developed for the drivers of sport cars, coupes and sedans. It’s a tire for serious drivers who want to push the capabilities of their high-performance car. On dry pavement, the Potenza S-04 Pole Position is an absolute joy to drive. Traction, handling, braking, and cornering grip are all fantastic. And they’re equally as impressive on wet surfaces. Also, for a max performance summer tire, ride comfort is surprisingly good and so is the tread wear. The Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position is a tire that helps you get as much driving enjoyment as possible.
Continental EXTREMECONTACT DW
- Perfect grip in dry weather conditions
- Little to no understeer
- Smooth and comfortable ride due to soft compound
- Improved rain grooves in tread pattern delivers superior wet grip
- High-speed braking massively improved and much more stable
- Noise levels increase as tire starts to wear
Are you in need of a powerful maximum performance tire? Do you want a balance of affordability =, tread wear, grip and comfort? The Continental ExtremeContact DW is the perfect tire for drivers who want a mix of all out handling and comfort. They have to traction to handle themselves in both wet and dry conditions. But wet performance is where they really make their mark. Wet traction,handling and braking is amazing. They hold your car tightly to the road so you can feel safe,confident and secure as you slice through water. While relatively quiet, noise levels can increase as they begin to wear. Do you value money just that bit more than performance? Are you looking for a quiet, comfortable ride with a long tread life? Then the Continental ExtremeContact DW is the tire for you.
Michelin PILOT SPORT PS2
- Excellent steering feel makes this a great tire for drivers
- World class dry traction and handling
- Great wet weather performance
- Will truly maximize your cars performance
- Below average tread life
- Fairly expensive
- Produces a slightly harsh ride
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is specifically designed for use on high-powered sports cars. If you’re looking for a tire that will significantly improve your car’s capabilities, you’ve found it. These tires deliver exceptional dry grip without sacrificing wet weather performance in both dry and wet conditions. However, don’t expect them to last you that long, as the tread wear is a bit below average. The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is exclusively for serious drivers that want to maximize their car’s potential and are not afraid to pay for it.
Dunlop Direzza DZ102
- Great combination of price and performance
- Precise steering even in cool weather
- Resists hydroplaning
- Easily develops flat spots
When it comes to seasonal tires, it is not often that one comes across a unique product that makes the cut. The cost factor that comes with owning tires made for a specific period in the year makes this segment challenging for most manufactures. As such, when a reputable brand like Dunlop comes up with a specific summer tire one can’t help but get excited. This they have done with the Direzza DZ102 tires. The Direzza DZ102s can be fitted to sports cars, high performance coupes and high spec sedans. These are high end vehicles and a Dunlop Direzza DZ102 review is one way to ascertain whether the tires are suitable for the job at hand.
General Tires GRABBER UHP
- Braking is fantastic in both dry and wet conditions
- Great feedback when cornering
- Hard to beat on value for money
- Noise picks up as tires start to wear
- Not to be driven in wintry conditions exceeding light snow
There’s a reason why General Tires Grabber UHP is one of the top high performance tires on the market for performance pickups, sport utility and sport activity vehicles. It combines value,style and performance together perfectly. Braking and traction is solid in both wet and dry conditions. And the tough sidewalls make for great cornering with excellent driver feedback. It’s simply a great all-round tire with solid overall capability. But noise levels do tend to increase as the tires start to wear. And forget about driving in wintry conditions exceeding light snow.
Bridgestone POTENZA RE760 Sport
- Very good traction in dry weather
- Proper response during driving stunts
- Allows for interchangeable mounting
- Drivers report sidewall flexing at higher speeds
High performance and treadwear seem to be a tradeoff that most drivers have to accept. Owners of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans are likely well aware of this conundrum. By their very nature, performance vehicles have to overcome high levels of friction as they rapidly accelerate and when coming to a brisk stop. This can be devastating for a tire’s durability. Our Bridgestone Potenza re760 Sport review may however, suggest that this needn’t be the case. The popular brand has come up with a tire that they claim will provide all the performance thrills without compromising on tread life.
Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX GT
- Sensational dry traction and grip
- Surprisingly comfortable for a max-performance tire
- Increases acceleration and improves braking performance
- Offers outstanding driver feedback and responsive handling
- Very expensive with below average tread life
- Not suitable for snow, ice or freezing temperatures
- Weak sidewall is prone to damage
The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT is a max-performance summer tire that trades off wet grip capabilities and ride comfort to deliver the maximum dry grip and performance available. If you own a high-performance sports car, and don’t mind paying the hefty price tag, then these tires can definitely help to maximize your car’s potential in dry conditions. Traction and handling is exceptional in dry weather once they warm up, and you can expect to see an instant improvement in your car’s acceleration and braking performance. But don’t expect them to last too long as they wear out quickly.
Michelin PILOT SPORT 3
- Incredible tread life
- Increases your vehicles fuel economy
- Glues your car to the road in wet conditions
- Improves handling and driver feedback
- Low level of ride comfort
- Awful in the snow
Looking to improve your car’s performance and get value for money at the same time? Then the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is the tire for you. It balances an outstanding tread life with precise steering response to give you more driving pleasure and greater control. With great wet traction and hydroplanning resistance for when you get caught out in the rain. And superior driver feedback so you can launch yourself deep into corners with supreme confidence. To sum it up they’re quiet, grippy and long lasting tires that will deliver 40,000 miles of driving enjoyment before they need to be replaced.
Yokohama ADVAN A11A
- Enjoy a smooth, comfortable ride without any noise
- Quick and communicative steering response
- Brilliant dry traction and solid cornering
- Reliable and durable with great tread wear
- Dangerous in the winter or on snow
Are you looking for a tire that balances sport and comfort? Do you want to enjoy a quiet, peaceful ride without the annoying noise produced by many other high-performance tires? The Yokohama Advan A11A is designed for reliable handling at high speeds, precision cornering, and above all else, comfort. With excellent tread wear and consistent traction and braking performance to keep you safe in wet conditions. But lacking the overall performance and value for money of similar tires.
Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 2
- Braking in the wet is amazing
- Tread wear is minimal
- Grip in dry conditions is superb
- Delivers a high-level of comfort
- Traction drops off in cold weather
The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is the ideal choice of tire for drivers who want a balance of performance and ride comfort. Braking, handling and steering response is extremely predictable and reliable. The Asymmetric 2 is definitely a tire you can count on. Traction is brilliant, especially in wet conditions, but does begin to drop off as temperatures start to fall. With a surprisingly long tread life, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is terrific value for money.