- Quiet at freeway speeds
- Surprisingly good at off-roading
- Poor tread life
- As the tire hardens, hydroplaning becomes a real problem
The Japanese tire manufacturer, Yokohama, is no stranger to the all weather driving segment. It is thus interesting to see that they continue to create new and improved product lines in this market. Our Yokohama Avid Touring-S review takes a close look at their benchmark tire. It is touted as their standard all season tire that has been constructed particularly for coupe, sedan and minivan drivers. The tire is an ambitious effort to present comfortable driving, responsive handling, grip and resilience all in one package.
Tech-enabled Ride Comfort
The Avid Touring-S tire makes use of Yokohama’s Tri–plex Tread compound. This technology is tailored to provide extended tread life and enhanced traction all year round. The compound is cast into a uniform tread pattern that incorporates Silent Shoulder changeable tread block ranges. This coupled with a Twin Rail Stability spine comes together to decrease road noise levels while keeping cornering sharp.
Within the tire’s mechanism, a twin steel belt, strengthened with nylon braces is layered over a polyester body case for increased stability. The sidewall rubber compound makes for improved absorption for road irregularities and vibrations.
Weak Material Compromises Performance
A lot of research has gone into creating the these tires but a few sticking points still arise. Tire seems to suffer from wear that is accelerated. With a high probability of becoming brittle, the tires get run down quite fast, regardless of driving conditions.
In addition to this, the compound used on the tires is not as robust as it is advertised. Besides the contentious issue of durability, the tires are not particularly strong. This renders the tire vulnerable to punctures and developing bumps. The sidewalls may also start cracking requiring a change, even before the tread wears out.
While there are some significant issues with the Yokohama Avid Touring-S tires, results from the review are more than promising:
Yokohama Avid Touring-S Highlights
- Twin Rail Stability Rib that gives improved road feedback and ride comfort
- Conical water channels that operate along with circumferential grooves for effective water evacuation
- Luxurious sidewall engineering that is meant to enhance bump absorption and reduce on – road vibrations
- A silent shoulder employs added sipes to reduce road noise
- Cross traction grooves deliver a biting edge that gives increased grip and handling in wet or snow driving conditions.
- Double steel belt mechanism strengthened by nylon perimeter strips for added stability and cornering, even in demanding situations.
There are a number of problems that can be pointed out with the these tires. However, all things considered there is a lot that this tire does very well. The all – season tire market is very competitive and Yokohama has definitely risen to the occasion.
Be the first to leave a review.